Sunday, April 21, 2019

"Hello, Plain Jane's Baby Factory, How may I direct your call?"

GW's good friend from Kentucky tends to call about 9:00pm, because he correctly assumes that by this time the kids will be asleep, but we will still be relatively awake and sober ourselves.  One night, however, he was the unfortunate recipient of my self-pitying sense of humor. 

"Here at Plain's, we sow 'em, grow 'em, and stow 'em.  How can I help you?"

A two-second pause, while Lex's considerable intellect grasps my mood and swiftly rises to the challenge of playing along.  "Oh, uh...I heard
"Ah, yes.  Which department would you like to speak with?  The sowing department has unfortunately closed. Permanently."

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that.  Would that mean the growing department is also...?"

"Defunct, yes." 

"Well, that kind of limits my choices..."

"Yeah."

"I might want to file a complaint."  He is a lawyer.

"The complaint department is only open from 6 to 7am on Sundays. You're welcome to call back during that time, although we don't answer the phone until

No comments:

Post a Comment